Director of Human Resources
Job Title: Director of Human Resources
Reports to: Executive Vice President – Finance/Administration
Department: Human Resources
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: September 2020
The Human Resource Director oversees the overall strategic direction, planning, coordination, administration, and evaluation of the human resources. The director is responsible for developing and ensuring effective implementation of plans, systems, policies and processes for workforce planning, talent acquisition, talent management and development, employee engagement, legal compliance and recordkeeping, employee relations, compensation, benefits, and payroll. This position requires a true strategic business partner who is collaborative and capable of building consensus and commitment toward shared outcomes.
- Partner with the leadership team to formulate, develop, implement, and evaluate a HR and Talent Management Strategy to achieve the organization’s vision, mission and goals, and to create value to its stakeholders. Regularly engage in direct communication with the Executive Committee on key human resources matters.
- Oversee recruitment efforts to ensure that the organization is effectively and efficiently sourcing and selecting the right candidates.
- Develop and drive talent management strategies to ensure effective staffing alignment with the needs of the business. Create systems to attract talent, identify critical talent needs, develop core competencies and corresponding development opportunities, and engage leadership in succession planning.
- Identify ways to increase staff retention and productivity, including strategies to enhance employee engagement, leadership and staff development, regular feedback and coaching, career pathing, and promoting a coherent organizational culture that positions Nook Industries as an “employer of choice.”
- Lead the effective and efficient administration of the performance management process, making sure that the organization’s managers are equipped to engage in constructive and ongoing feedback and coaching, and encourage staff to actively participate in identifying and addressing performance gaps.
- Mitigate legal risk to the organization through proactive training and education, clear systems and processes for managing conflicts with and between employees, handling and investigating complaints of harassment/discrimination and other unjust practice allegations.
- Maintain current knowledge and application of all relevant laws and regulations at the local, state and national level relating to employment and ensure organizational compliance. This includes educating and advising managers and senior leaders on HR-related legal and regulatory matters and ensuring HR programs, practices and policies are aligned. Ensure that employee files and records are properly and securely maintained.
- Maintain/enhance a competitive compensation system and benefit package to attract and retain staff. Regularly review compensation and benefits market data, monitor pay practices and proactively address issues, manage benefit broker resources and benefits enrollment process, manage leave administration and the payroll function.
- Design and implement a strategy to optimize and integrate HR technology, enabling managers and employees to easily perform people-related transactions (e.g. benefits enrollment), facilitate delivery of effective HR services, securely store employee data, and support people-related decisions.
- Lead and develop staff.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in HR, Psychology, Business Administration or related field with at least 7 years professional HR experience in a manufacturing environment is required.
- HRCI and/or SHRM certification required.
- Experience in generalist areas of HR support, including talent acquisition, performance, talent management, compensation, HR systems, processes and procedures, succession planning, employee development and training, employee relations and other HR areas.
- Supervisory/management experience in an HR role.
- Experience implementing strategies and systems for talent management, compensation and benefits, and HR technology.
- Strong business acumen and leadership abilities.
- Exceptional skills in coaching and counseling, performance management and recruiting.
- Ability to listen and probe to understand underlying needs and/or root cause of an issue.
- Ability to provide thoughtful, progressive, and strategic guidance.
- Expertise in analysis, critical decision making, project management, and process improvement.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills, including proficiency in developing and delivering presentations to all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and solve practical problems.
- Outstanding judgement, sensitivity, and high discretion.
- Demonstrates integrity and maintains confidentiality.
Specialized Knowledge, Licenses, etc.:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and HRIS systems, preferably ADP and SuccessFactors performance management software platform.
- Understanding of employment law and diversity/EEOC compliance and promotion.
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures in areas such as dispute resolution, performance management, employment law, employee relations, recruiting/staffing, communications, training, compensation and benefits administration, and recordkeeping.
- Strong conflict management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to identify, influence, and collaborate with key stakeholders to achieve desired organizational outcomes.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Operate successfully as both an independent practitioner and a team player.
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands:
Normal office working environment, with the occasional exposure to mechanical moving parts and moderate noise when on the production floor. Ability to lift less than 10 lbs. Occasional driving to off-site job fairs or meetings/trainings.
Internal: Daily interaction with employees from all departments to discuss HR related topics.
External: Frequent communication with vendors, educational institutions, and employee family members
Ability to manage multiple priorities and effectively make decisions that balance both the desires of the employees and the needs of the organization.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. At the employee’s request, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to be considered.
Nook Industries, Inc. is an EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.